RULES & POLICIES
The Revolution Winter Outdoor Youth League will be following the USYS and FIFA Guidelines:
- USYS Policy on Players and Playing Rules
- FIFA LAWS OF THE GAME
- The Rules of Youth Soccer Explained | MOJO
Unless modified by this set of rules, all games shall be played in accordance with the most current FIFA and USYS rules (linked above). All decisions of the referee are final and binding. First place awards will be awarded to winners in the U9 through U19 age groups.
AGE AND ELIGIBILITY
- Participation in the REVOLUTION WINTER OUTDOOR YOUTH LEAGUE is open to accepted teams composed meeting the age limit of the specified division. U13 and U14 teams can bring a total of eighteen players on their approved roster. U15 to U19 team can roster up to 22 players, but can only roster up to 18 players on any given matchday. Note: U9 and U10 rosters are composed of twelve (12) or fewer players. U11 and U12 rosters are composed of sixteen (16) or fewer players. Players must have been born during, or after, the specified birth year of the age group they are participating in. Each team must be registered and in good standing with their national organization or state soccer association and must present a valid state roster. Player registration cards duly authorized by a team’s sanctioning organization will be required as proof of age. PLAYER PASSES MUST BE PRESENT AT THE FIELD FOR THE DURATION OF EACH GAME.
Each team shall have a roster properly stamped by its sanctioning organization present at every game and rosters may be inspected by the referee or league official at the request of either coach or on the decision of the referee.
- U15 to U19 (11v11) – 22 players
- U13 to U14 (11 v 11) – 18 players
- U11 to U12 (9 v 9) – 16 players
- U9 to U10 (7 v 7) – 12 players
- U8 – no rosters needed
A team may use no more than three (3) guest players from teams outside their club, which must be approved by the League Director. A team may use an unlimited amount of club-pass players on their matchday roster. Rosters with guest players are limited as follows:
- U15 to U19 teams may not have more than twenty-two (22) players on their roster, which includes up to three (3) guest players from outside their club, and an unlimited number of club-pass players.
- U13 to U14 teams may not have more than eighteen (18) players on their roster, which includes up to three (3) guest players from outside their club, and an unlimited number of club-pass players.
- U11 to U12 may not have more than sixteen (16) players on their roster, which includes up to three (3) guest players from outside their club, and an unlimited number of club-pass players.
- U9 to U10 teams may not have more than twelve (12) players on their roster, which includes up to three (3) guest players from outside their club, and an unlimited number of club-pass players.
NUMBER OF PLAYERS
- The U8, U9 and U10 divisions will play 7v7; U11 and U12 divisions will play 9v9; all other age groups will play 11v11.
- A game may not start with fewer than seven properly uniformed players on each team. Once started, games may not continue with fewer than seven players per team. If a game cannot start or is stopped because a team has fewer than seven players, that team shall forfeit the game. A team shall have a 10-minute grace period from scheduled starting time before a forfeit is declared. Note: U8, U9, U10, U11 and U12 division games cannot start or continue with less than six players.
- A forfeit shall be awarded as three (3) points for the win.
- If a team is the cause for termination of a game, that team will be considered to have forfeited that game.
- Teams that have forfeited a game may not advance to the finals unless approval has been given by the League Director.
Substitutions without limit may be made, with the referee’s permission, at any stoppage of play.
THERE WILL BE NO PROTESTS. ALL REFEREE DECISIONS ARE FINAL.
UNIFORM, EQUIPMENT, FIELDS, & HEADING RESTRICTIONS
- Players must wear numbers on the back of their uniforms and these numbers shall coincide with those listed on the team’s Official roster.
- PLAYERS ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR SHIN GUARDS IN ACCORDANCE WITH FIFA. LAWS OF THE GAME.
- The HOME team (listed first on the schedule) will wear their dark-colored jerseys. The visiting team will wear their light-colored jerseys.
- When requested by the referee, each team must provide a lines-person.
- Regardless of weather conditions, coaches and their teams must appear on the field, ready to play as scheduled. Failure to appear will result in forfeiture of the game. Only referees and/or the League Director can postpone or cancel a game.
- The U12 and younger teams shall play with a #4 ball, and U13 and older teams shall play with a #5 ball.
- The U8, U9 and U10 age groups will use the developmental build out line. Players must move behind the build out line until the ball is put into play when the keeper has the ball or on a goal kick. The goalie cannot punt or drop kick the ball – it must be put into play on a pass, throw, or roll. The build out line is used to denote where offside offenses will be called.
HEADING RULE AT AGE GROUP DIVISIONS U11 AND YOUNGER
Whenever the ball strikes a player in the head, play is stopped. The proper restart depends upon whether the player deliberately played the ball with his or her head. If deliberate, the proper restart is an indirect free kick to the opposing team. If this occurs within the goal area, the indirect free kick should be taken on the goal area line parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the infringement occurred. If the play by the head is deemed inadvertent, then the proper restart is a dropped ball.
DURATION OF GAMES
The following outlines the length of game halves for boys’ and girls’ matches:
- U8 to U10 > 7v7 > 2 x 25-minute halves > 5-minute halftime
- U11 & U12 > 9v9 > 2 x 30-minute halves > 5-minute halftime
- U13 to U19 > 11v11 > 2 x 35-minute halves > 5-minute halftime
In the event inclement weather forces cancellation of a game after the first half has ended, the game shall be considered official and the score at the point of cancellation shall be the final score. Should a game be halted before the first half has ended, it shall be rescheduled for complete replay, or recommenced at the discretion of the League Director.
- Each team shall be awarded three points for a win and one point for a tie in the preliminary games. The division winner shall be the team with the most points. If two or more teams are tied, the tie-breaking rules are as follows:
- Head-to-head competition (does not apply if more than two teams are involved).
- Most wins.
- Goal Differential.
- Max goal differential 5 goals.
- Goals against.
- Max goals against 5 goals.
- Most shutouts.
- Goals for.
- Max goals for 5 goals.
- Penalty kick shootout.
- In the event of a tie among more than two teams: a tie is broken by the above system, but if ties among remaining teams still must be decided, those ties would be broken by starting again from the top of the tie-breaking procedure.
SEMI-FINAL AND FINAL TIE-BREAKING RULES
Overtime will be played. U12 and younger teams will play up to two 5-minute overtime periods, and U13 and U14 will play up to two 10-minute overtime periods. If a tie in score exists at the end of overtime, the FIFA penalty kick procedure will be used to determine a winner.
GAME AND SCORE REPORTING
The winning team (or home team if the game is tied) is responsible for reporting the score to the league app within 24 hours after the completion of the match.
- Players, coaches, and spectators are expected to conduct themselves within the Spirit of the Law as well as the Letter of the Law. Displays of temper or dissent are cause for ejection from the game and surrounding field area.
- Both teams (players and coaches) will be on the same sideline. Spectators of both teams will take the opposite side of the pitch. No one will be allowed behind either end line.
- A player or coach receiving a red card will not be able to participate in the league game following the game the card is issued. VA Revolution Soccer Club reserves the right to SUSPEND ANY PLAYER, COACH OR TEAM FROM THE TOURNAMENT FOR UNRULY CONDUCT.
- In the event of assault/abuse on a game official, a judiciary hearing shall immediately be convened at the Revolution Sportsplex. All terms described in the USSF Official Administrative Rule Book under Rule 3.2.8, “Suspension for Assault on Official”, shall apply. In any event, a player, coach, or other team official who is charged with assault on a game official is suspended from further participation in the league.
- Any team disregarding a decision by the referees and/or the League Director to either suspend or cancel tournament play, will be disqualified for the remainder of the league. Also, a written complaint will be filed with the team’s sanctioning organization.
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICY
*After a team is accepted, then no refunds will be issued, exceptions as follows:
CANNOT FORM DIVISION FOR YOUR TEAM
If the league cannot provide a divison for your team to participate, then you will receive a full refund. An example of this would be if the tournament does not have enough teams to fill your age group.
The league director will make a determination as early as possible (night before or morning of game days), based on the weather forecast.
Criteria of Determining League Match Status:
- 30º, (wind chill “feels like” 30º) and warmer, All games will continue as scheduled.
- 25º (wind chill “feels like” 25º) and below all U9-U12 games will be canceled.
- When the temperature falls to 20º and lower to include the wind chill factor, all age matches will be canceled.
- Rain: Even though temperatures might be above what is recommended, rain may affect the overall environment and lead to a cancellation at the discretion of the league director.
Every effort will be made by the league to reschedule any and all canceled matches. In the event, the league is unable to reschedule league games, please refer to the weather cancellation credit/refund policy below.
In the event that inclement weather forces the cancellation of all or part of the league, teams will have the option to receive a credit or refund of a percentage of their paid entry fee. This credit is to be used in future Virginia Revolution Soccer leagues and/or tournaments (within one year), and will be given in the following increments:
- No (0) games played = 100% credit or 75% refund
- Two (2) games or less played = 75% credit or 50% refund
- Three (3) games played = 50% credit or 25% refund
- Four (4) games played = 25% credit only
- Five (5) or more games played = no refund
NOT RECEIVING GUARANTEED 3 GAMES
In the event that your team does not receive 6 games due to a team forfeiting or dropping out, teams will receive the following:
- 10% refund per game missed due to forfeit
* Please note that if one of your games is canceled but you still play 6 games, then no refund/credit will be given.
Any team that withdraws after November 14, 2023, will forfeit its registration fee.